Monday, January 9, 2012

I Love My Job - Is That a Problem???

That's right!!! I love my Job! And I have no idea as to why that is a problem...

Oh yeah, it is a problem. For family, for friends, for everyone who knows me...

Not just my current job, I loved my previous job too. I only left it so that I can continue my education. For no other reason.

But from the very first day at my first job, I have had people tell me, "Don't spend too long at work. Then they will expect you to do the same always."
But magically, the more time I spent at work, the more I was told by my superiors to go home! And they didn't just say it for the heck of it. They said so with all their heart. And asking for a vacation was so much easier. Cos' they knew that I would come to office if I could and I would never ask for a leave "just like that"!

I loved my previous job, and I love this one. I leave early if I have no work. Cos' I don't see the point in staying back till 06:00PM just cos' I am supposed to. But it is not like I don't ever stay back late. There has been times when I have left at 02:00AM or when I have done 2 continuous shifts together. Spending time at work has never been a problem for me.

What I do not understand is that why others have a problem with it! It is not like I never take vacations or I come home late everyday. But I like to wrap things up at work so that I can be peaceful at home, knowing I have done my job. What else is the point of taking a vacation, if you cannot relax. But if I fall sick, I take leave, even if it results in losing a day's pay. Cos' I work to keep myself happy and I work well when I am healthy. So if I can't take care of my health, then I do not deliver at work, making me unhappy and useless both at work and home! Simple logic! :)

And I do not know why it is so "YUCK" to say in a gathering of friends that "I like what I do at work!". Somehow, you are seen more "of the pack" if you go ahead and say how much your work sucks and how much you hate your boss. It is totally up to you to come up with atleast one complaint against authority. It doesn't matter even if it is really strange like - I don't like the way my boss dresses, or she is too fat to be my boss, or he is too gay to give me a promotion... Some excuses are outright funny! Some even say, "My boss actually expects me to work when he (or another colleague) does nothing!" How does that affect you in anyway? Don't you ask yourself if you have earned your salary at the end of the month?

My intention was not to sound like a know-it-all-holy-at-work person (which I guess I did end up sounding like in the end! Hehe!). But just that, if I love my job, just leave me with it. If you don't and you want to whine about it, please carry on! But don't expect me to do the same. And if I agree to take up more work than I should be doing, it is cos' I want to. Not cos' I like being walked on! Thank You!!!

13 comments:

  1. Wow! My post about work and yours, couldn't be more different..but I'll tell you, even though I may not love my job, I like it and I'm missing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol.. Tat's true!!! But u miss ur job too, that is more than enough... As long as you miss it, you are doing great... Dont worry you will be off the bench soon... ;)

      Delete
  2. :) You love your job, you know what I used to say to my peers? I respect my job! And I used to get a look.

    Well, I am one of such people who wouldn't like a single person to stay after hours or work so hard. There has to be a balance, I have met people who work the way you do, which flexible working hours help but, it's not everyone's cup of tea.

    I think to each his/her own, however as a team lead or next whenever I become a manager, I would rather have my team enjoy and work :D than have so much that they stay till late....

    And, I am all for giving your health prime importance.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It is not everyone's cup of tea. So choose the style you want is all I wanna say. But dont blame others if you dont like you job. Reminds me of the scene from Fight Club when Tyler pulls a store clerk and puts an empty gun to his head and then tells him to follow his passion and become a vet rather than adjusting to what you have!!!

      Delete
  3. i must say you are lucky to have a boss/bosses who understand your logic (health imp/enjoy the work/leave if work done/finish job at hand even if it means staying late)

    most cases leaves are not granted. even when sick, bosses insist the employee shows his face in the office. leaves for a vacation toh is like asking for one of his kidneys
    and most of them do want to see their staff staying back late. it gives them a perverse pleasure. not many would let an employee go home just because he completed the tasks for the day & has no work. they will be more than happy to pile u up with some other assignment. it depends on the work profile too to an extent.

    but u r lucky and right when u say some excuses are just downright stupid esp the ones u mentioned in the post.

    as long as u r happy doing what u do, that's all that mattes. and let the "pack" go to hell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right. It depends a lot on the work profile too. Hmm, I dint think of that!

      Guess I have been lucky to have understanding bosses till date. Hope that remains the same. But "managing your (reasonable) boss" is not that difficult (provided s/he is reasonable!). All they want is to get the work done properly ("properly" being the key word!). Every boss starts of hating you. So if you put in a lil extra at the start and gain her/his confidence, then that is more than enough for you to be respected as a subordinate for the rest of your life... :)

      I am sure there are bosses who react like we just asked for their kidneys when asking for vacations. Atleast that is what I regularly hear at parties or see in movies! Maybe bosses are a highly misunderstood bunch. Cos eventually every boss has a boss, right!!!

      Delete
    2. Holy Crap! That previous comment of mine looks like a mini-post in itself... lol...

      Delete
  4. I used to feel the same once-upon-a-time, for the first 2 years of my life.. In fact, I went home only to sleep. I literally lived my life in office spending close to 16 hours every day. Now, it's 10 hours and I'm outta here types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I guess it is all about priorities right! Spending more time at work is fun when there is nobody waiting for u at home, right? Now that u r not alone, u might wanna just finish and run home... ;)

      Delete
  5. you expressed your perspective nicely
    but it differs for everyone !
    i believe if we love our job and people around us there will not be any problem..
    TAKES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True... I agree with that... All you need is to love ur job and the people associated with it, and everythin else will fall into place... :)

      Delete
  6. what could possibly be the problem with that if u like ur job. but there are ppl who r not happy with their jobs and they have genuine reasons to feel that way. its just like life, some are happy some aren't. mostly u give ur 100% at work because u love ur job not because u have to. great post as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... It is like life... And true that we will give our 100% only if we love our job... Thanks a lot coming back here regularly... And "great post as usual"??? Wow!!! I am treating myself to a beer tonight!!! :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...