Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Quarrel ! ! !

“Why do I have to go?”

“You have to!” Mom was red and I could see that she was grinding her teeth together – she is really angry now.

“You know I hate all our relatives” I pleaded

“We are not going to go there alone. Stop whining and get ready”

I never say anything more than twice. I expect people to do the same with me. So I quietly went and pulled on a worn out jeans and a faded black T-shirt.

“You are not going to wear that...” I got into the car and shut the door before mom could complete that sentence.

“You are going to have nobody once we are gone” Dad started.

I wanted to put my hands over my ears and scream.

“You should learn from your sister, you know. Everyone loves her. And she mingles so freely”

“I AM NOT MY SISTER!”

“DON’T RAISE YOUR VOICE IN MY HOUSE!”

I wanted to say that we were in the car and not in the house, but I shut up. Mom got into the car. We started moving.

“I don’t know what I am going to do with him.”

This happens all the time. They start discussing as if I am not there.

“Stop comparing me with Sis’!”

Mom said, “You are both our kids. How did u both turn out so different?”

I ignored it. I looked into the rearview mirror and saw dad looking at me. His eyes said he was so disappointed with me.

I could not take it anymore. I stared back into the rearview mirror and said, “You loved your relatives, how did that turn out for you, dad?”

I hit the sweet spot. Mom fell silent. I could see her profile, and I must say she was really scared as we waited for Dad to explode.

I sniggered, loud enough for Dad to hear. The heat inside the car could have been due to a nuke going off. But he didn’t break…

“That’s right! Leave me alone.” I said to myself. “I am not your daughter. I don’t like your relatives. The next time I don’t want to go - don’t force me!”

They never ever did…

2 comments:

  1. wow! i am like that too! i say once & no more. and people can say once & can be sure that i will remember forever . no need to repeat!!

    and i hated my relatives too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, but that kinda character isnt a pretty sight at home! All I keep hearin is "Why cant u be lik ur sister!" hehehe!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...